The NEW AMERICAN INTEGRATION PROGRAM (NAIP) is an AmeriCorps program administered by the MIRA Coalition, in partnership with English for New Bostonians. Up to 30 NAIP members will be placed at various community-based organizations across Massachusetts to address barriers to economic empowerment among immigrants and refugees by focusing their service on job readiness training (including ESOL instruction) and/or citizenship services (including application assistance and civics instruction).
ABOUT Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers (MAPS): MAPS’ mission is to improve the lives of Portuguese-speaking individuals and families from Massachusetts and help them become contributing, active participants in American society while maintaining strong ethnic identity and a sense of community. MAPS works with and for the Brazilian, Cape Verdean, and Portuguese communities to increase access and remove barriers to health, education, and social services through direct services, advocacy, leadership, and community development.
SERVICE POSITION TITLE: Citizenship & Employment Assistance Case Worker
SERVICE DESCRIPTION: The MAPS AmeriCorps NAIP will serve mainly Brazilian and Cape Verdean and other Portuguese speakers in Greater Boston, including Boston (especially Dorchester, Roxbury, Allston and Brighton), Cambridge, and Somerville and surrounding areas such as Everett and Chelsea. This project will primarily serve adults age 18 and over of both genders. The program will be open to anyone who needs the services, so individuals from non-Portuguese-speaking backgrounds can also receive assistance. The Citizenship & employment Assistance Case Worker will work closely with MAPS staff to conduct outreach, and to assist clients with job readiness, including pre-employment services such as job search, resume preparation and job counseling, as well as job skills assessment and placement, including referrals to job training programs and ESOL services to Portuguese-speaking individuals in the greater Boston area. He/she will also provide assistance to eligible LPRs interested in applying for US citizenship.
SERVICE LOCATION: Greater Boston
SERVICE SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. Community outreach takes place during alternative evening and weekend hours. Members commit to full-time service from September 5, 2017 through August 2018.
- Conduct outreach to 100 business and churches in Cambridge, Somerville, Brighton, Allston, Dorchester, Roxbury, Chelsea, East Boston, and Everett.
- Job readiness, including pre-employment services such as job search, resume preparation and job counseling, as well as job skills assessment and placement, including referrals to job training programs and ESOL services to 70 Portuguese-speaking individuals in the greater Boston area.
- Citizenship Application Assistance to 80 individuals seeking to naturalize as US Citizens.
- Work closely with MAPS staff to create and share materials to increase access to citizenship services and improve quality of services offered.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Interest in and commitment to national and community service
- Experience working with diverse populations;
- Bilingual/Bicultural in Portuguese/English and/or Cabo Verdean Creole preferred
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- 17 years of age or older
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or Legal Permanent Resident
- Must be willing to undergo a National Service Criminal History Check, including screenings through the National Sex Offender Public Website, a name-based search of the statewide criminal history registry both in Massachusetts and your state of residence upon application to our program, and a fingerprint-based FBI check
- Expert training in Citizenship and Employment Assistance and case management A Living Allowance up to $13,100.00
- Loan forbearance and a Segal Education Award of $5,815.00 upon completion of service
- Health Coverage
- Child Care Assistance
To apply, download the NAIP application from the MIRA website at www.miracoalition.org/americorps-programs. Please submit the completed application and your resume to NAIP@miracoalition.org with the subject line “MAPS AmeriCorps member.”
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled, however priority will be given to applicants who apply on or before April 26, 2017. Please note that if not selected for this position, you may still be considered for placements at other host sites.