Media Contact: Isidro Fagundes, Communications Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org | 617-864-7600, ext. 30
Organization: MAPS is a private, nonprofit organization providing health and human services to Portuguese speakers in eastern Massachusetts since 1970.
Current programs include Immigrant Integration Services; Citizenship Assistance; Elder Services; Family Support Services; Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services; Intimate Partner Abuse Educational Program; HIV/STI Prevention & Screening; Medical Case Management; Driver Alcohol Education; periodic Citizenship, ESOL and Portuguese Language Classes; Notary Public and Translation Services, and more.
MAPS Board of Directors:
- Paula Coutinho, LICSW, President
- Susan Pacheco, Vice President
- Raymond Estrella, MBA, Treasurer
- Patricia de Oliveira, Secretary
- Antonio Massa Viana, Esq.
- Carmen Pacheco Medeiros, M.Ed.
- Claire Andrade-Watkins
- Elizabeth Chaves
- Filipe Zamborlini
- Jennifer K. Santos, Esq.
- Mary Ann Lomba, MBA
- Stephen Pereira, M.Ed.
MAPS Management/ Administrative Team:
- Paulo Pinto, MPA – Executive Director (Bio)
- Lois Josimovich – Director of Development
- Jill Ryan – Part-time Director of Finances & Operations
- Beatriz Maimone, LICSW – Director of Clinical & Support Services
- Dulce Almeida Ferreira, MA – Director of Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services
- Milena Mello, MS – Director of HIV/STI Prevention & Screening Services
- Alirio Mendes Pereira, MA – Director of Immigrant Integration & Elder Services
- Lucinda Morais – Administrative and Human Resources Manager
- Isidro Fagundes – Communications Manager & Translator
- Andrew Carten – Development Manager
- Maria Cerqueira – Financial Manager
- Natalia Fernandes – Executive Assistant
- Elen Freitas – Brighton Office Assistant
- Lisa Chaves – Cambridge Office Manager
- Maria Gomes-Almeida – Dorchester Office Manager and Volunteer Program Coordinator
- Alessandra Lopes – Lowell Office Manager
- Lillian Silva – Somerville Office Manager
- Polyanna Figueiredo – Part-time Lowell Office Assistant
- Claudinei Desouza – Framingham Office Manager (and Immigrant Case Worker)
92 Union Square
Somerville, MA 02143
Fax (617) 764-0111
697 Cambridge St., Ste. 203
Brighton, MA 02135
Fax (617) 779-9586
One Stoughton St.
Dorchester, MA 02125
Fax (617) 825-4167
11 Mill St.
Lowell, MA 01852
Fax (978) 970-0843
24 Union Ave., Suites 8 & 10
Framingham, MA 01702
Fax (508) 872-2652
MAPS in its present form was created in 1993 by the merger of two other agencies. The agencies, the former Somerville Portuguese American League (SPAL) and Cambridge Organization of Portuguese Americans (COPA), had served area Portuguese speakers separately for more than 20 years. They merged to improve service provision and further unify the Portuguese-speaking community, including immigrants from eight countries around the world.
The agency opened its first Boston office in Allston in 1995 to serve the large growing Brazilian population in that neighborhood. The agency expanded its service area northward in 1997, opening its new Lowell office at the urgent request of the city’s Portuguese-speaking community. A second Boston office opened in Upham’s Corner, Dorchester in 2001 to serve the surrounding Cabo Verdean community. In 2006, MAPS opened a part-time office in Framingham to provide services to the large Brazilian community of the MetroWest area. The MAPS Allston Office moved to Brighton in 2012.
Mission: To improve the lives of Portuguese-speaking individuals and families from Massachusetts and help them become contributing, active participants in American society while maintaining strong ethnic identity and a sense of community. MAPS works with and for the Brazilian, Cabo Verdean, Portuguese and other Portuguese-speaking communities to increase access and remove barriers to health, education and social services through direct services, advocacy, leadership and community development.